Fluffy and soft and bright.
Welcome to the Cloud Factory.
TRAILER COMING SOON
But why not check out this amazing audience reaction?
Fluffy and soft and bright: welcome to the Cloud Factory. High in the sky clouds sit above us, out of reach and all alone, but Claud has a plan. Far away and high on a hill, they’ve built their very own cloud factory, but need your help to make their fluffy dreams come true.
intotheclouds is a playful, sensory and highly visual experience for very young children and babies (aged 6-18 months and 19-36 months) developed in partnership with the NHS’s Small Steps Big Changes and over 50 babies and their families across Nottingham. Performed inside a custom-built sensory box, intotheclouds is an incredible first-time theatre experience, that’s suitable for any space (no theatre required) and also adaptable for older children with sensory needs.
Devised & Performed by Catriona Giles & Ashley Jones
Lighting Design by Jessica Hung Han Yun
Directed & Designed by Edward Boott
Produced by Team Nonsuch
“Amazed my boy sat still, the performance totally captivated him, I feel like he understood and enjoyed it all.”
“Wonderful – we really LOVED it! On Cloud 9 now!”
Who’s it for?
intotheclouds is Nonsuch’s first show for early years and has been specifically crafted for audiences of babies either 6-18months or 19-36months and their families, providing an amazing first theatre experience that all the family can enjoy together.
We find that strict age limits are key in order to ensure that everyone enjoys the performance and that the different needs of different age babies are catered for by the performance. Performances for babies aged 19-36months has a slightly different structure and sensory experience to suit their age.
Due to the sensory nature of the performance, whilst targeted at babies and very small children, we have also performed intotheclouds to older children with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorders), PMLD (Profound & Multiple Learning Difficulties) and SEND (Special Education Needs & Disabilities) to a great response.
From our experience of delivering the show, we’re more than happy to support venues in their communications to audiences about the show, age-limits and show information.
A First Time Theatre Experience…
intotheclouds is possibly going to be the first time many of the audience have visited the theatre and, as parents/family/carers of very tiny babies, those who are with them may naturally have some anxiety about what will happen. So here’s an outline of what happens…
- At the point of ticket purchase, parents are provided with all the information they need about the show, the performance and what to expect.
- On arrival at the venue, parents are encouraged to make their way to an ante-room to the performance space where they can securely leave buggies, bags and anything else they won’t need but will have with them.
- Just after the performance start time (babies aren’t the best time-keepers) a member of the intotheclouds teams greets the babies and also gives pre-show introduction to those with them just so they know what to expect.
- Families can take anything they might need with them into the performance space (usually a bag with food/wipes). Babies are encouraged to be placed on the lap of someone whose with them, with any extra adults sitting towards the back of the space to ensure all babies can see. Those holding onto babies are encouraged to try and stop any stage invaders.
- During the performance, if Baby gets upset, there’s a space at the back of the performance space for them to be taken, and if there’s still no let up, babies can come and go from the performance as they see fit. We even have a sensory box available if Baby is not in the mood to return so they can still experience all the sights, textures and smells of the performance on their own.
- The performance begins and there’s plenty of moments for Baby and adult to interact and play with all the sensory items we have to offer. The performance lasts approximately 20 minutes, and afterwards, there’s another 20 minutes available for an interactive Stay and Play session with the set and the performer.
“Beautiful performance! Visually stunning and all of my little ones were absolutely enthralled!”
“My 18-month old’s first live performance and he was enthralled the entire show. He loved playing with the lights at the end with the performer. Thank you!”
intotheclouds is the first performance made for The Nonsuch Box our custom, tourable performance space that simply plugs into the wall and can be set up in a matter of hours.
The Nonsuch Box has been designed to be flexible, (comprised of 2, 5.5m x 5.5m x 3m L shaped truss structures) and as such there are three ways in which we can set up for performances of intotheclouds depending on the space you have available and the size of audience you want to accommodate.
General Show Information:
- Running Time: 20 minutes + 20 minutes Stay & Play
- Maximum Performances in a Day: 6
- Age Rating: Strictly 6-18months or 19-36months and accompanying adults (18+)
- Audience Scale: 20 – 50
- Company on the Road: 4
- Languages: available in English, Spanish and French
General Technical Information:
- Power Supply: Access to 15 x Mains Power Sockets (13amp)
- Show Notices: Atmospheric smoke effects, flashing lights. Performance space must be able to be isolated.
- Get In Time: 6 hours
- Get Out Time: 4 hours
Layout 1: Standard Box
Both L-Shapes are placed together to form a cube with a 1.2m entrance between the two structures.
- Audience Capacity: 20-25 (usually 10 babies & 10 adults)
- Built Dimensions (WxDxH): 5.5m x 6.5m x 3m
- Minimum Space Required (WxDxH): 8m x 10m x 3.5m
Layout 2: Large Box
Both L-Shapes are placed together to form a cube with a 2.5m entrance between the two structures, making a larger performance space to accommodate larger audiences.
- Audience Capacity: 30-40 (usually 15 babies & 20 adults)
- Built Dimensions (WxDxH): 5.5m x 8.5m x 3m
- Minimum Space Required (WxDxH): 8m x 13m x 3.5m
Layout 3: End-On Venue
For end-on venues with retractable seating, only one of the L-Shape Structures is assembled opening the performance half of the box to an audience of your size. The roof of the box is suspended to rigging points above the audience to maintain the immersive feel of the show.
- Audience Capacity: 50+
- Minimum Stage Area (WxDxH): 8.5m x 6m x 3.5m.
- Rigging points in the ceiling above the audience and stage.
- General lighting coverage of performance space provided by venue.
Nonsuch is an international cultural studio based in Nottingham. We work to pioneer cultural freedom through unlocking creativity and celebrating life across our creative, community and development programmes.
Over the past four years over 55,000 people have seen, participated or been supported by our work across the UK and beyond.
Check out our Portfolio for some of the projects, events and campaigns we’ve ran.
Produced, Supported & Funded by: